Why Guidance for treating patients during COVID-19 is important:
Goal for Rheumatology Practice in Canada – protect rheumatology patients from potentially fatal infection without jeopardizing treatment goals.
- Rheumatoid arthritis and other rheumatological diseases create an inherently immunodeficient, vulnerable state
- Immunosuppressive therapy may further increase the risk of infection
- The long-term outcomes of COVID-19 in patients is not fully understood
- The timing and impact of future waves of infection and delivery of a vaccine are unknown
- Without effective and sustained containment measures, COVID-19 outbreaks can lead to a patient load that exceeds the capacity of the healthcare system