The CARE™ Rheumatology Perspectives report provides Canadian perspectives on relevant clinical trials and news in inflammatory arthritis.
- Psoriatic Arthritis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Axial Spondyloarthritis & Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Summary and Parting Comments
Faculty involved in this reporting:
Dr. Philip Baer
MDCM, FRCPC, FACR
CARE™ Rheumatology steering faculty lead
Ontario Rheumatology Association
Dr. Louis Bessette
MD, MSc, FRCPC
Professeur agrégé, Université Laval
Centre de l’ostéoporose et de rhumatologie de Québec (CORQ)
Groupe de recherche en rhumatologie et maladies osseuses (GRMO)
- Bimekizumab is anticipated to enter the Canadian PsA market soon based on positive findings from theBE OPTIMAL and BE COMPLETE studies.
- It also looks promising in nr-axSpA and AS
- The optimal approach for disease activity-guided tapering of biologics in PsA is yet to be determined.
- Future research in PsA that further explores factors contributing to the everyday debilitating effects experienced by patients is needed.
- Pausing methotrexate only after the second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine may provide the best balance between antibody response and risk for flare in RA.
- Using a reduced dose of concomitant methotrexate with adalimumab in RA can offer similar efficacy with a better safety profile.
- Continuous treatment with ixekizumab is better at maintaining long-term disease control in nr-axSpA.
- Upadacitinib and bimekizumab may represent new treatment options for nr-axSpA and AS